Monday, June 6, 2011

Whoa!!!!!

So lets get this straight... I've steadily progressed over the last few weeks, lost weight every week and just because I didn't lose the 5 lbs you wanted me to, I have to start counting calories?  I might not have lost 5 lbs, but I did lose weight.  And inches?  Did I lose some inches too?

A big reason why I like what we are doing together is that I don't have to obsess over each and every calorie I ingest.  I know these sites work great for a lot of people, but I want to see how far I can get before moving on to the big guns.

And most importantly, lets not forget my reasons for doing this:
  1.  BE HEALTHIER - Stop the downward spiral to an early heart attack by changing my lifestyle and eating better, cleaner foods
  2. GET FIT - Get more active.  Move on a daily basis.  Stop being sedentary and get used to doing something physical more often
  3. FEEL BETTER - Get more energy, feel more comfortable in my skin, get more done in the day without feeling like I'm dragging my ass
  4. LOSE WEIGHT - Get into non-plus size clothes because face it, plus sized clothing ain't always that flattering
Notice how losing weight is not the first priority?  That getting healthier and feeling better are more important?  And hey guess what? I DO.  I have so much more energy now and I'm getting so much more done.  I keep going on and on like the fricken Energizer Bunny.  I am ON all day at work.  I am pretty sure that the only reason I haven't run screaming from my job is because of all this.  I've even started annoying my boyfriend with how much energy I've got. 

I've got a little theory as to why last week's weigh in wasn't as successful as you had projected: Work has been unbelievably stressful.  Our workload had increased by over 50% in the last few months and we haven't hired anyone else to help lighten the load.  Increased stress = increased cortisol.  Increased cortisol = less ability to lose weight.

http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm 

Gandhi is quoted as saying “We must become the change we want to see.”  Last week I decided to adopt this as my mantra at work.  I've stopped allowing the little things to get under my skin.  I've started shrugging nasty negativity off and smiling more.  I've made sure to thank the people who make my day better.  When people ask me how I'm doing, I tell them I'm awesome.  And the result has been that nothing at work has changed.  The grumpy, bitchy people are still grumpy and bitchy, but I'm not as fazed by it.  

But I feel better.  And that's all that matters.  So how about we give this a bit more time to see what happens.  I've got years of bad habits to get over.  It ain't going to happen over night.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to why you're so opposed to calorie counting - it's an excellent way to see where your diet is being sabotaged and make you more aware of what's really going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not opposed per se, I just don't want it to be about the numbers... it should be about the bigger picture. I'll post a typical food day shortly so you can get an idea of what I'm doing and see why I'm leaning more towards the instinctive eating rather than the "monitor everything" mode. I see this as a "lifestyle change" rather than a diet.

    ReplyDelete